Messukylä Church
Messukylä Church is a red-brick Neo-Gothic church completed in 1879 and the main church of Messukylä Parish. Its white interior, dark wooden pews, blue ceiling and historic church art reflect more than a century of use and renovation.
Messukylänkatu 54, 33700 Tampere
Open during scheduled activities.
050 599 8215
church caretaker
Max 750 people
Accessibility
- Step-free entrance: Located on the cemetery side of the church. The door is kept open during events.
- Accessible parking: Two accessible parking spaces are located next to the step-free entrance. Parking is also permitted in the staff parking area with a valid disabled parking permit.
- Accessible toilet: Located on the right-hand side of the worship space when viewed from the main entrance, beside the ramp to the altar. The toilet can be reached without steps, but the space is cramped and the doorway is fairly narrow.
- Hearing loop: Covers the entire worship space.
- Baby changing station: Located on the right-hand side of the worship space, beside the ramp to the altar. A baby changing table is available there, and an additional changing table is available from the church caretaker.
- Large-print hymn books: Located to the left of the main entrance.
- Braille hymn book: Available from the church caretaker.
- Wheelchair spaces: Located on the left when entering through the step-free entrance. The spaces have good visibility.
History and architecture
The present main church of Messukylä Parish was built in record time in 1879, as the old stone church that had served the parish was in poor condition. The red-brick church represents the Neo-Gothic style typical of the period and was designed by architect Theodor Höijer.
The church was consecrated on the First Sunday of Advent in 1879, although not all of its furnishings had yet been acquired. The altarpiece painted by Alexandra Såltin arrived nine years later, and the organ was installed in 1889.
The church has a rectangular plan, with a tower at one end. The nave runs north–south and the transept east–west. The white-plastered worship space has dark wooden pews and a central aisle leading to the altar.
The church has undergone several renovations. Less than ten years after its completion, the tower collapsed and was rebuilt in its present, lower form. The church was damaged during the unrest of 1918. The most recent major renovation was carried out for the church’s centenary in 1979, when the ceiling of the worship space was painted blue.
Messukylä Parish became part of the Evangelical Lutheran parishes of Tampere in 1948, one year after the municipality of Messukylä was incorporated into Tampere.
Altarpiece
The altarpiece Jesus and the Canaanite Woman is an oil painting on canvas by Alexandra Såltin, completed in 1888.
The painting depicts seven figures. Jesus and the Canaanite woman are in the foreground, with five other figures observing behind them. Såltin returned to this subject several times and painted versions of it for different churches. She was one of Finland’s most prolific church artists and painted around 70 altarpieces.
Baptismal artwork
The baptismal artwork is a set of four paintings created by Annukka Laine in 2005.
On the left is an angel wearing red and blue, and on the right an angel in contrasting colours. The angel on the left is Gabriel and the one on the right is Michael. At the centre is a golden cross with a white dove flying above it. The circle is surrounded by twelve six-pointed stars.
The name and baptism date of each child baptised in the parish are added to the artwork as a new star. Above the central group of paintings is the inscription “God has called you by name”, referring to chapter 43 of the Book of Isaiah.
Liturgical textiles
A complete set of liturgical textiles, including chasubles, was commissioned for the church’s centenary. The set was designed by Seppo Rihlama, the architect responsible for the renovation. The bobbin-lace decorations were made by textile crafts teacher Hilkka Lehtinen.
Organ
The present organ is the third to serve the church. It was built by Urkurakentamo Tuomi in 1979. The organ has 24 stops, and its façade is in the Romantic style associated with Bror Axel Thulé.
War graves
The war graves are located beside the church, on the western edge of Messukylä Cemetery. Eighty-four people who died in the wars of 1939–1945 are buried there. The cemetery also has a memorial plaque commemorating 23 people who were buried in family graves.
Behind the war graves stands a wall with the bronze sculpture Aseveljen vala (“Comrade-in-Arms’ Oath”) at its centre. The sculpture was created by Richard Rautalin and unveiled in December 1946. The inscription on its pedestal reads:
“Though our sword may break before our task is done,
and one day we may fall upon the field,
blessed is the one who has been granted
even a little time to serve his country.”
According to tradition, painter Armas Rautio served as the model for the sculpture.