The church in Aitolahti
Jenseninkatu 4, 33610 Tampere
p. 050 337 4077
Kirkko on avoinna toiminnan mukaan.
The church in Aitolahti is new - it was consecrated in September 2001.
most dominating element in the church is the massive redbrick wall,
which gave the church its name protective wall. The wall is like the
hand of God sheltering the congregation.
The Aitolahti church
houses examples of modern church art. The main altar is shaped like a
boat and the glass panel on the altar is decorated with traditional
Christian symbols. The altarpiece, also made of glass, is called Peace
unto you and depicts the face of the resurrected Christ. The side altar
is adorned with a 2-metre high crucifix cast in bronze.
The church has 200 permanent seats, but can accommodate 220 additional seats.
The Aitolahti old church
Aitoniementie 268, 33680 Tampere
p. 040 804 8644
Avoinna toiminnan mukaan. Kirkkoa esitellään ryhmille tilavarauksen mukaisesti.
The Aitolahti old church, situated in beautiful surroundings, is very popular for various ceremonies.
It was consecrated at midsummer 1928.
The church accommodates XXX people.
The church built in mediaeval style is a fine example of stone masonry.
The church underwent a complete interior renovation during the winter of 1996-97.
The church is accompanied by a nearby cemetery.
p. 040 804 8764
Avoinna maanantaista perjantaihin klo 11-18, lauantaisin tilaisuuksien mukaan ja sunnuntaisin klo 9-15.
Päivystys arkisin klo 12-18, pappi tai diakoni paikalla maanantaisin ja torstaisin klo 16-18.
Rukoushetket ma, ti, ke ja pe klo 17, to viikkomessu klo 17.
Kesällä ja mm. joulun aikana päivystyksissä saattaa olla poikkeuksia.
Alexander church was built in the neo-Gothic style influenced by various other styles.
church was named Alexander church to honour the 25th anniversary of the
coronation of Czar Alexander II, as its foundation stone was laid on
the anniversary date, 2nd of March 1880. The church was consecrated in
In addition to divine services and church
ceremonies, located at the end of Hämeenkatu street, Alexander church
attracts people to attend church concerts and St. Thomas masses.
The church accommodates 1,300 people.
Puuvillatehtaankatu 2, 33210 Tampere
p. 040 804 8762
Finlaysonin kirkko on auki joka päivä 20.5.-31.8 klo 10 - 18. Kirkko on Lasten katedraali, jossa on myös ns. lasten alttari.
Finlayson church is unique among the churches in Tampere. It is a
standing monument to the spiritual enlightenment of two industrialists,
James Finlayson and Wilhelm von Nottbeck, who made their mark in the
history Tampere. Their cotton mill was given the right to hire its own
parson and the redbrick sanctuary was built by the factory gate in 1879.
In 1981 the church and the land it was built on were donated to the Evangelical Lutheran parishes in Tampere.
has become popular as a venue for small occasions and concerts. In
recent years it has competed with the Tampere Cathedral for the title of
the city's most popular wedding church.
In summer and around
church holidays the church acts as a so-called Children's cathedral,
where biblical stories are illustrated with the help of miniature
Finlayson church has approximately 280 seats.
Lindforsinkatu 7, 33720 Tampere
p. 050 599 7335
Avoinna tilaisuuksien aikana sekä sopimuksen mukaan.
The Hervanta leisure centre was inaugurated in conjunction with the
200th anniversary of the City of Tampere in autumn 1979. The building,
constructed jointly by the city and the local parish, also houses a
When designing the interior of the church, considerable
attention was paid to the versatility of parish activities. As a result,
the size of the church room can be modified with movable walls
according to needs.
Hervanta church was designed by famous architects Reima and Raili Pietilä.
Talvitie 26, 33900 Tampere
p. 050 408 7759
Avoinna tilaisuuksien aikana sekä sopimuksen mukaan.
Härmälä church, located in the middle of a residential area, was built
in two stages: the parsonage and parish hall were built in 1949, and the
church was completed in August 1972.
The pillared bell tower next to the church building is a landmark visible from a distance.
to its versatile interior design, the church is well suited for divine
services and other parish activities alike. The parish hall can be
joined with the church room, and thus accommodate a large number of
Liisanpuisto 1, 33540 Tampere
p. 040 804 8774
Kalevan kirkko on avoinna talvi- ja kevätkautena (syyskuusta kesäkuun loppuun) päivittäin klo 11-15 sekä kesäkautena heinä-elokuussa klo 11-17, jolloin myös opas on paikalla.
Varaukset kirkkoon tutustumista ja mahdollista opastusta varten numerosta 03 2190 705 (ma-pe 9-15).
The Kaleva parish was founded in 1953, but had to wait for 13 years before receiving a church of its own.
city wanted to build a monumental church on the Liisankallio knoll.
Kaleva church, consecrated in August 1966, is characterised by
loftiness, light, arched pillars, vertical lines, the colour of
unbleached linen and wooden surfaces. The church was designed by
architects Reima and Raili Pietilä.
The large concrete church
accommodates approximately 1,120 people. The pews and other woodwork in
the church are made of Finnish pine.
Ollinojankatu 2, 33400 Tampere
p. 050 400 2108
Kirkko on avoinna toiminnan ja varausten mukaan.
Lielahti was part of the Ylöjärvi municipality until 1950. After
Lielahti joined Harju, a parish hall was built on the plot acquired from
the Enqvist plant. Charmed with the light and beauty of the parish
hall, bishop Gulin consecrated the hall as a church in April 1961.
redbrick church building fits the surrounding nature very well. In
1991, the church room accommodating 160 people was complemented with a
small organ, which for its part helped regularise divine services in
Messukylänkatu 54, 33700 Tampere
p. 050 599 8215
Kirkko on avoinna toiminnan mukaan keskiviikosta sunnuntaihin. Maanantaisin ja tiistaisin suljettu.
The main church of the Messukylä parish was built in 1879. The redbrick
church represents the neo-Gothic style typical of the era.
church has been repaired and renovated several times. The unrest caused
by the 1918 civil war damaged both churches in Messukylä. The latest
renovation took place before the church's 100th anniversary, providing
the church with its blue roof.
To commemorate the 100th
anniversary, the parish ordered a complete set of church textiles
including chasubles from architect Seppo Rihlama.
Messukylä church and the surrounding cemetery is a quiet landmark at the crossroads of several busy streets.
Messukylä old church
Kivikirkontie 2, 33700 Tampere
p. 050 599 8215
Avoinna kesäkaudella 1.6.- 31.8. keskiviikko-sunnuntai klo 12-18. Maanantai ja tiistai suljettu.
Talvikautena 1.9.–30.5.kirkko on suljettu.
Old Messukylä church, built during the Roman Catholic Middle Ages, is the
oldest building in Tampere. It represents the typical style of Finnish
The old church has witnessed several periods
of glory. In the 17th century, for example, its walls were decorated
with mural paintings, which have been preserved to this day.
the new church was built, the old church was forgotten for decades, and
at some point, was used as a granary. Over the past decades, however,
the old church has undergone several conservational renovations.
old stone church is still used, although it is only open in summer
since it has no heating. The church is very popular for weddings, and
tourists also enjoy the old spirit of the church.
Pispalan valtatie 16, 33250 Tampere
p. 050 320 6331
Pispalan kirkko on avoinna toiminnan mukaan. Kirkko suljetaan syksyllä 2017 remontin vuoksi.
After the destruction of the Pispala wooden church by fire in 1968, a
decision was made to build a new church in conjunction with the parish
hall built in 1949.
The design of the present church room was the
result of cooperation between many people, and the church was
consecrated in August 1971.
The interior of Pispala church is
dominated by a wooden mediaeval crucifix and a pulpit decorated with
beautiful woodcarvings with the date 1660.
Pispala church accommodates 330 seats.
The old church
Keskustori, 33100 Tampere
p. 040 804 8766
Avoinna ympäri vuoden pe-su klo 11-15.
Tampere's first church, nowadays known as the Old Church, was consecrated in April 1825.
construction of the cruciform neo-Classicist church was delayed by
disputes related to the location and material of the church as well as
the general lack of funds among the inhabitants of the city.
The belfry, designed by Carl Ludvig Engel, was built in 1828-1829. The altarpiece by R. W. Ekman depicts Christ in Gethsemane.
the Old Church is the home of Tampere's Swedish-speaking congregation
and the place of worship for immigrants living in Tampere. The church
bells toll for anyone wishing to attend the English-language mass on
Sundays at 16. Like all churches in central Tampere, the Old Church is
very popular for weddings. The Old Church has 310 seats.
Tuomiokirkonkatu 3b, 33100 Tampere
p. 040 804 8765
Tuomiokirkko on avoinna talvikautena (syyskuusta huhtikuun loppuun) joka päivä klo 11-15 sekä kesäkautena touko-elokuussa klo 10-17, jolloin myös opas on arkisin paikalla.
Juhlapyhinä kirkko voi olla poikkeuksellisesti avoinna.
Pyhäpäiväisin klo 10 jumalanpalveluksien aikaan sekä lauantaisin, erityisesti kesällä, kirkollisten toimitusten aikana kirkkoon tutustuminen on rajoitettua.
Ryhmien varaukset p. 03 219 0705, arkisin klo 9-15. Ryhmien tutustumiset eivät ole mahdollisia toimitusten aikana.
The church of St. John was built north of the Tammerkoski rapids in
1902-1907. Its name was changed to Tampere cathedral after the bishop's
seat was moved to Tampere in 1923.
The grey-granite, tile-roofed
church was built on the basis of designs by architect Lars Sonck. The
artwork is by painters Hugo Simberg and Magnus Enckell.
Cathedral is considered to be the chief monument of Finnish national
romantic architectural style as well as a magnificent specimen of the
skills of builders and craftsmen of the time.
The cathedral is extremely popular for concerts and weddings. Today, the cathedral accommodates almost 2,000 people.
Teiskon kirkkotie 114, 34260 Terälahti
p. 050 323 6776
Avoinna toiminnan mukaan.
Vahtimestari Eila Pajula p. 050 323 6776.
Teisko church is the most significant achievement of the famous church
builder Matti Åkerblom in Tampere. The wooden, cruciform church was
consecrated in August 1787.
The pulpit from the previous church
in Teisko, dating back to mid 17th century, is on display in the church.
The upper part of the altarpiece, painted by Pehr Sundberg in 1801-02,
depicts the Saviour in Gethsemane. The lower part, nowadays kept in the
vestry, represents the Holy Communion.
A grandfather clock
donated back to the church is on display inside the church, and a wooden
pauper, typical to churches of the period, still begs for alms for the
poor on the outside wall of the church.
Teisko church is
situated by Lake Kirkkojärvi and surrounded by a cemetery. Together the
church and the cemetery form a magnificent example of vernacular
architecture and Finnish cultural landscape.
church was consecrated at Whitsuntide 1978. With the inauguration of the
new church, the scattered Harju parish received a versatile activity
centre in the middle of the Tesoma suburb.
The redbrick church is
built on a pine-dominated heath, close to nature. Nature is also
present inside the church, through a large scenic window viewing the
The relief altarpiece by sculptor Laila Pullinen depicts the suffering Christ.
church is a multi-purpose hall. The actual church accommodates
approximately 100 people, but by connecting adjoining rooms to the
actual church, as many as 350 people may attend divine services in the
Kaartotie 1, 33100 Tampere
p. 050 371 7449
Avoinna tilaisuuksien aikana sekä sopimuksen mukaan.
Bishop Jaakko Gummerus consecrated Viinikka church in May 1932. He
referred to the church as an everyday church, since it was the first
church building in Finland to house the actual church with a parsonage
and meeting rooms for young people.
Although the style of
Viinikka church refers to the classicism of the 1920's, it has certain
functionalist features. The oblong single-nave church adorned with a
beautiful sleek spire rises magnificently among the residential
buildings surrounding it.
A large gilded wooden carving
depicting Christ dominates the nave of the church. The ceiling is
decorated with images of the four evangelists with their emblems.
In recent years, Viinikka church has served as a road church, providing travellers with a quiet haven for a moment's rest.