Aitolahti Old Church
Aitolahti Old Church is a stone church completed in 1928, known for its medieval-inspired architecture and peaceful setting beside Aitolahti Cemetery. It is especially popular for church ceremonies during the summer.
Aitoniementie 268, 33680 Tampere
Open during scheduled activities.
040 804 8644
church caretaker
Max 250 people
Accessibility
- Accessible entrance: A stone ramp is located to the right of the main entrance.
- Accessible toilet: Located in the church service building.
History and architecture
Built of stone in 1927–1928, the old Aitolahti Church was designed to resemble a medieval church. It was designed by architect Birger Federley and represents the historicist architecture of the 1910s and 1920s.
Bishop Jaakko Gummerus consecrated the church at Midsummer in 1928. The church seats approximately 230 people and is a popular setting for church ceremonies, especially during the summer.
Art
The interior of the church is decorated with paintings by artist Kalle Löytänä. Beneath the organ loft, above the central aisle, is an ancient Christian symbol: a pelican feeding its young with its own blood. Near the organ, the arch is decorated with an ornament depicting angel wings, while on the arch above the altar, angels with folded hands represent the shared prayer of the congregation.
The stained-glass altar window, Christ on the Cross, was designed by artist Fritz Hilbert. Completed in 1928, it forms the focal point of the altar area.
Organ
The pneumatic organ has 19 stops and was built by the Kangasala Organ Factory.
Church bells
The belfry houses a bell originally used in the former Russian military church in Mikkeli, as well as a larger, deeper-sounding bell later commissioned from Lokomo.
Renovation
The church underwent a major interior renovation in the winter of 1996–1997, based on plans by Kostiainen–Tanhua Architects. New lighting and heating systems were installed.
An altar for quiet reflection, designed by artist Arto Lappalainen, and a coloured leaded-glass artwork were added at the rear of the church. In front of the altar is a small crucifix made from apple wood from Aitolahti.
Cemetery
A cemetery is located near the church. The memorial to the fallen, designed by Y. Ekblom and made of black granite from Kuru, was unveiled in September 1947. A memorial to those left behind in Karelia was erected in the cemetery in 1960.