Aitolahti Cemetery
Aitolahti Cemetery is a peaceful cemetery beside Aitolahti Old Church. The grounds include traditional coffin and urn graves, war graves and memorials, as well as newer burial areas added in the 2000s.
Aitoniementie 268, 33680 Tampere
About the cemetery
Aitolahti Cemetery was consecrated in 1924. It is located beside Aitolahti Old Church, which was completed in 1928 and designed by architect Birger Federley.
The parish centre and an office building are also located within the cemetery grounds. The cemetery was expanded around the turn of the millennium, and the new section was completed in autumn 2003.
Aitolahti Cemetery does not have a separate funeral chapel.
War graves
Twenty-two people who died in Finland’s wars are buried in the war graves at Aitolahti Cemetery: three who fell in the Winter War and 19 in the Continuation War. The memorial to the fallen, made of black granite from Kuru, was designed by Yrjö Ekblom and unveiled in 1947.
The cemetery also has a memorial stone erected in 1960 by Karelian residents of Aitolahti in memory of those who remained buried in Karelia.