Skip to content

Finlayson Church

Finlayson Church is a distinctive red-brick church in Tampere’s historic Finlayson area. Built by the cotton mill in 1879, it combines the area’s industrial history with an unusual church interior and is today home to the Children’s Cathedral.

Puuvillatehtaankatu 2, 33210 Tampere

Open until 30 August, Mon–Fri and Sun 11 am–6 pm.

040 804 8762
church caretaker

Max 280 people

Show location on map

Accessibility
  • Hearing loop: Covers the entire worship space.
  • Step-free entrance: Located on the Kuninkaankatu side, through the glass doors at the rear of the church. Threshold ramps provide access to the worship space. The doorway is 80 cm wide.
  • Accessible toilet and baby changing station: Located in the entrance hall near the step-free entrance.
  • Accessible parking: Two designated accessible parking spaces are available in the church courtyard on the Kuninkaankatu side, in the staff parking area. One of the spaces is narrower than the other. The step-free entrance is close to the parking area.
  • Large-print hymn books: Available on a stand by the main entrance.

History and architecture

Finlayson Church was commissioned not by a parish but by Wilhelm von Nottbeck, director of the Finlayson factory, who wanted to provide for the spiritual life of his employees. The church was designed by Tampere city architect F. L. Calonius.

The architecture was influenced by English Congregational churches, an unusual model in Finnish church architecture. The red-brick building was completed as a prayer house in 1879.

The factory church

In the mid-19th century, Tampere had only one church, while the city was growing rapidly as a result of industrialisation. In the 1840s, the Finlayson cotton mill employed around a quarter of the city’s population. Including employees’ families, a large proportion of Tampere’s residents lived within the sphere of the factory community.

In 1846, the factory was granted the right to employ its own pastor, known as the factory chaplain, particularly to provide worship in Finnish. In 1879, a red-brick prayer house was completed near the factory gate, at the corner of Puuvillatehtaankatu and Kuninkaankatu.

The factory chaplain and community

The factory chaplain was responsible for the spiritual life of the factory community until 1880. After the position was discontinued, pastors from Tampere continued to conduct services and other events at Finlayson Church alongside their other duties.

For more than a century, the Finlayson company maintained the church together with the parishes. Memorial wreaths made by factory workers and displayed on the walls of the worship space reflect their respect for Wilhelm von Nottbeck and his family.

Transfer and consecration as a church

On 30 December 1981, Oy Finlayson Ab donated the church and its site to the Evangelical Lutheran parishes of Tampere. One condition of the transfer was that the building would continue to be called Finlayson Church.

Because the building had originally been a prayer house, it had never been formally consecrated as a church. On Tampere Day, 28 September 2009, Bishop of Tampere Matti Repo formally consecrated the building as a church.

Finlaysonin kirkko ilmasta syksyllä dronella kuvattuna.

Worship space and interior

Finlayson Church has a single-nave worship space with the pulpit positioned behind the altar. The arrangement emphasises the importance of preaching and creates a clear, uninterrupted view through the space.

The view towards the chancel is dominated by the Hill & Son organ, acquired by von Nottbeck in St Petersburg and built in London in the 1850s. Above the organ, a statue of the Archangel Michael looks towards the old factory area.

An inscription on the chancel arch at the rear of the church contains a blessing from Psalm 121: “May the Lord guard your going out and your coming in, now and for ever.”

Renovation and additional facilities

Finlayson Church underwent a major renovation in 2007–2009. The original inscriptions on the chancel arches were uncovered, and the floor was renewed using Omberg limestone containing visible fossils.

Additional facilities were created in a residential building constructed on the neighbouring site, and sacristy facilities were added to the church. The new facilities were connected to the church by a glass corridor.

Weddings and concerts

Its intimate size, attractive surroundings and good acoustics make Finlayson Church a popular venue for weddings. In recent years, it has rivalled Tampere Cathedral as one of the city’s most popular churches for weddings.

The church’s acoustics also make it a well-established venue for smaller events and chamber music concerts.

Pariskunta on juuri vihitty Finlaysonin kirkossa.

Children’s Cathedral

Since 1996, Finlayson Church has been home to the Children’s Cathedral, a church especially for children. Bible stories are brought to life through storytelling displays and miniature scenes, which change three times a year.